How to get an Australian driving license from an overseas driving license 

Photo by Joey Csunyo on Unsplash

You will be able to drive in Australia with your current overseas license (except NT). Nevertheless, different states have their own state laws which might have different criteria that need to be followed in order to drive or get an Australian driving license.

In this post, I am going to point out the procedures for getting an Australian license from an overseas license in Sydney (NSW). Other states in Australia also have similar procedures.

Listen to the podcast episode of “This Abroad Life” for more detailed information (in the Nepali language)

Driving with overseas license in NSW:

Before you start driving in Australia, you will need to have the following documents:

  1. Current driving license issued in your home country
  2. Translated letter of your license from the transport authority of your home country (यातायात कार्यालय for 🇳🇵)

These documents should be carried at all times when you drive a vehicle in Australia. Remember: Zero blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit applies for over drivers with an overseas license issued for less than 2 years.

Test Preparation:

Before you go for any tests, you will also need a “License Verification Letter” provided by the Consulate General of your country present in Sydney. The Consulate General of Nepal🇳🇵 is currently located in North Sydney.

After you have these three documents ready, you must pass the following tests in order to get an Australian driving license:

  1. Driver Knowledge Test (DKT)
  2. Driving Test (DT)

1. Driver Knowledge Test (DKT)

This is a computer-based test which is the first stage in the licensing process. If you failed DKT, then you might not be able to drive with your current overseas license.

2. Driving Test (DT)

As a second and final stage, you will need to pass a driving. You will be able to book your driving test online after you pass your DKT. After you successfully pass this test, you will get an Australian driving license. The type of license you get will depend upon how many years you have held that license.

On the other hand, if you fail this test, you will not be able to drive using your overseas license and will be issued a Learner’s license. You can continue to attempt your driving test as many times as you like and will get a license after you pass.

From my experience, you will need to practice at least a couple of times with a driving instructor so that you can learn key mistakes you perform while driving and also to help familiarise yourself with the route for the driving test.

Note: Due to a large number of applicants, you might not be able to give your test within your desired period of time. Therefore, you will need to plan ahead.

Driving offences from your overseas license

If you previously committed traffic offences with your overseas license in a vehicle registered under your name, the demerit points will also be transferred to your current Australian driving license.

Hope it was of help. Bye…